Wednesday, December 24, 2014

TRIBUTE TO A SELF-MADE MAN: CHIEF RICHARD OSOGBA, MD/CEO RICOS TECHNICAL SERVICES, NIGERIA LTD: 1952 – 2014.





By Francis Akenami

My late dad, Pa. Richard Akenami told me that once a ram is big enough it enters town. Chief Richard  Osogba became large enough for him to be claimed by every Olomoro indigene. I therefore crave the indulgence of the Osogba family and the Odugbo lineage of Ukoli Quarters, Olomoro, Isoko South LGA, Delta State to write a little tribute to a great man who was called to glory suddenly on 22nd of December, 2014. He was aged 62!

I knew the then Mr. Richard Osogba first as a mathematics teacher at the Comprehensive High School Olomoro, around 1985. He was very brilliant, full of life and knew his subject very well. He was in the same mould of brilliant teachers such as Mr. Osalor (Biology), and Mr. Itebu (Geography/Economics). He simply refused to be poor. In those days when it was difficult for teachers to own a car in Nigeria, Mr. Osogba owned a 504 Peugeot Car, clearly placing him shoulders high amongst his equals. Sensing that his meager teacher’s salary could not satisfy what he planned to contribute to society, Richard Osogba proceeded to the University of Benin as an adult to study Accounting, where he graduated in flying colours around 1991.

After he graduated, he refused to return to teaching. I once spoke with him where he said “Francis, I can never hold chalk again until the day I die.” And that is what he did. He pitched tent with an Olomoro successful business man in the oil industry, Chief Ogrih the drum. He worked for him, served him and gradually became his Manager. He started by buying an Okada with which he made business contacts and learnt the trade very well. He later bought a car and the rest is history as he eventually owned assorted and choice brand new cars to the glory of his maker.

After Chief Ogrih died, typical of Nigerian and African businesses, his children liquidated his multi-million business empire and moved on. Chief Ogrih’s business was by conservative estimates worth over a 100 million naira as at that time. Chief Richard Osogba was left with nothing but his business acumen and zeal to succeed. He started his own Company, RICOS Technical Services, Limited, based in the oil city of Warri,  specializing in servicing the oil industry. Chief Osogba surpassed his boss the late Chief Ogrih (the drum) in the business because of his brilliance and education. He broke into manufacturing of industrial tools. What exactly did he manufacture?

What the Chief did would perplex you. What he did is how the German economy and now the Chinese economy was developed. He has a cottage industry that produces tools for the oil industry. He entered into MOU with many companies in the world including USA. They sent him tools with factory specifications and he reproduced them. After inspection, they issued him with certificate of authenticity. He has well over 50 workers. In my zeal to develop the Deltan economy and train machinists, I suggested to him I wanted to introduce him to the Government of Delta State so his skills could be of benefit to the state. He declined and told me he is a quiet businessman. Mingling with the state will involve politics and he was not a politician. I am able to write this now because he is no more. Chief Richard Osogba’s business is by conservative estimates worth over five hundred million naira (N500,000,000.00), and I know what I am talking about. I was personally involved a couple of times in negotiating some business undertakings for his company abroad.

Chief Richard Osogba was a friend of all. He enjoyed life to the fullest and rendered help to many people including his community, Olomoro. He lived a christian life, was very frank, outspoken and was generous but was always mindful of attracting attention to himself. The Odion-Ologbo of Olomoro recently gave him the chieftaincy title of Adethaomufuowho (when he arrives all problems are solved) of Olomoro Kingdom. During my parents burial in November, 2013, I sent him a text message informing him I was around for the purpose just in case I was not able to make it to see him. I was so busy I could not see him before the date. Lo and behold, on the day of my dad’s burial (November 16th 2013), Chief Osogba was around with his entourage. I was pleasantly surprised and he was full of life and charm as always. He called me, Francis, please come to our table briefly. I was sweating profusely. He gave me a can of orange juice and said “just for sitting here with us, we will give you some money now.” Chief Richard Osogba, Chief Peter Okieke and Chief Don Major Ifowodo contributed N41,000.00 and gave it to me right there. Chief Osogba then told me, “Francis, I will not make it to your mum’s burial next Saturday. However, I will send you something tomorrow." Surprise, surprise, the next day Chief Osogba sent a truck full of assorted drinks to me through his Manager Mr. Governor Idebe. I was told some of the drinks were sent by Chief Don Major Ifowodo.

During the burial I addressed Chief Osogba as the Adethaomufuowho of Olomoro Kingdom, he told me no. That he is not answering that, that it was too worldly. He informed me he was the Osogba of Olomoro. Such was his humility and simplicity.

Around 2009, Chief Osogba sent me money to buy for him a brand new Toyota Camry which I bought and shipped to him in a container. After he received it, I bought a Honda Pilot for myself. Because the Honda Pilot had tinted glasses, it required a permit from the IG of Police before I could drive it. Chief Osogba told me I should send him the details that he would get it ready for me within a twinkle of an eye that the IG of Police as at then was his friend. He got the permit ready for me and paid N40,000.00. When I arrived Nigeria, I wanted to give him the money and he refused to accept it. This is just my story, what about what he did for others?
In 2009, when we organized the D3 conference in New York, it was difficult to send large sums of money abroad due to currency restrictions. I advised the Delta State Ministry of Information to send the money through Chief Richard Osogba since he was a regular importer of goods. He helped to get the money across to me effortlessly. What else can a man do for his people!

I was told Chief gave all his workers fabulous Christmas bonuses this year. Little did his workers know that he was rendering his last generosity to them.

Now I have a word for his children, please do not fold-up your dad’s business as is typical of most African businesses. The multi-national conglomerate I work for has been in existence for 152 years, surviving many generations of its founder. Appoint  a Board of Directors, retain the current Manager and let all the Chief’s children be placed on salary. Create the Chief Richard Osogba Foundation and ensure it survives for atleast 20 to 50 years to keep his memory alive. If you listen to this advice, you will all do well.

Chief Richard Osogba, the man who refused to be poor, the Adethaomufuowho of Olomoro people, the Osogba of Olomoro Kingdom, you impacted many lives in your six decades of existence. You lived a life worthy of emulation. Olomoro, Isoko and Delta State will miss you. We will miss your smile, charm and energy. We will miss your sincerity. Silent Night. ADIEU.

No comments:

Post a Comment